Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Weekend Gardener


There’s nothing quite as satisfying as growing your own food. Well, nothing you can do fully clothed anyway. This is a fairly recent discovery. My previous attempts at gardening involved doning short red gumboots and flowery gloves before dragging Scott out into the garden and pointing to the area the hole needed to be dug. And then pointing at the correct plant to put into said hole. Another of my favorite tasks was landscaping. That involved Scott lugging heavy objects around the garden and placing them “just so”. Once he had them in place, they usually needed to be moved a foot or so to the left, but he got there in the end. Scott wasn’t nearly as enthusiastic about my gardening as I was, but it worked very well for me for a number of years.

Then it all changed. As all self respecting witches should do at some point in their quest for growth, I read Phyllis Curott’s “Witchcrafting”. Amazing woman that she is, she managed to turn my view of a previously unattractive, grubby past time into an opportunity to connect with mother earth, tune into the seasons AND provide fresh and nutritious food for my nearest and dearest. Its not that she advocates vege gardening per say, but it was one example of an everyday practical way to engage in earth magic and it just struck the right chord with me – much to Scott’s relief…

I’ve always been a foodie and as a witch, we love to get close to nature, but even so, anything that involved getting actual dirt under the fingernails was a BIG no no. I am a Princess afterall. It was a year before I gardened without the flowery gloves but now I love getting my hands in the dirt. I still point Scott at the weeds and the worms, as a Princess I have to draw the line somewhere…but those ghastly tasks aside, I love the whole process from start to finish. Nothing tastes better than something you have grown from seed and transferred from garden to table in under an hour. High magic indeed. So thanks again Phyllis, you are a marvel and Scott, especially Scott, loves you for it!

No comments: